Beef Animal Welfare Expert Committee
- Dr. Larry Benyshek, Benyshek & Hough Consulting, Georgia
Dr. Benyshek received his B.S. from Kansas State University, his M.S. and Ph.D. from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. He has been a leader in beef cattle genetic improvement and started Benyshek & Hough Consulting Services, Inc., in 2003.
- Bill Dicke, Cattlemen’s Consulting Service, Lincoln, Nebraska
One of the top feedlot nutritionists in the country he works closely with beef producers and feedlots throughout the nation.
- David Lowe, Feedlot Manager, Haw Ranch, Potwin, Kansas
David brings years of on-farm management and expertise to the committee.
- Dr. Frank Mitloehner, University of California, Davis
Serves as Air Quality Extension Specialist at UC Davis. Current research focuses on air quality related to livestock production systems as well as environmental physiology research focusing on effects of air emissions on animal health and welfare.
- Dr. Janice Swanson, Michigan State University
Serves as Director of Animal Welfare at Michigan State University where she holds a faculty appointment in the Department of Animal Science in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, and Large Animal Clinical Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Dr. Daryl Strohbehn, Iowa State University (former committee member)
Animal Science professor at Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa. Areas of research include applied beef cattle nutrition and management; field data analysis and computer applications in beef cattle enterprise management.
Dr. Temple Grandin, Colorado State University, reviews the program on an annual basis.